Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Scooter McGee Style

Happy Pilgrim Day kids!
I am getting asked "Scooter, what are you doing for Thanksgiving?"

I always reply...."I usually work on Thursdays", and I seem to get more and more crap about this subject.

Now that I have announced that the show is going national I will say this, I am not against the holidays, I just personally don't celebrate any of them.

Having said that, I have already prepared 2- 12lb turkeys, my grandmothers dressing, 2 gallons of homemade stock, 5 quarts of Turkey Noodle Soup, and have everything in the freezer for now until the end of the year. I, in public am all about the holidays. In private, my home is even decorated as of 11-20-07 but I don't partake in the holiday.

I have been asked in my chat room for the show to post the actual recipes that I am using so as promised here they are.

TURKEY------
Cook your turkey the way you want it, I cook my 12 lb turkeys in a Rival 16qt roaster oven (stand alone) at 350 for 2 hours. I prefer to do small birds since they won't dry out and are more manageable. I also brine them in a simple mixture of salt and sugar (1 cup each) a dozen peppercorns and a bay leaf, then brine it in a 40 qt cooler the night before roasting.

DRESSING---
Those of you who actually listen to my show know only about 1 of my grandmothers, and so I must now let you know that last week my other grandmother passed away. ---UNDERSTAND I will NEVER let my personal life affect my show.

HERE is her obituary-----
Shiely, Ann J. (Fee) (Appert) Age 90 of St. Paul Preceded in death by: her husbands Robert Appert (1951) and Joseph Shiely Jr. (1995); brother Richard (Marjorie) Fee; and sons-in law Joel Turbak & Bart Swenson. Survived by: her brother Dr. John (Joan) Fee; children, stepchildren and spouses, Robert (Jean) Appert, Mary Ann (Tom) Montgomery, John (Julie) Appert, Joseph (Georgeann) Shiely, Dan Shiely, Mary Turbak, Cindy Shiely, Jane (Ken) Powell, Leah Swenson,; and many loving grandchildren; great grandchildren; nephews; and nieces. Ann devoted more than 30 years to her career as a nurse and an educator, receiving her nursing degree from the College of St. Scholastica, Duluth; a master's degree in education from the University of Minnesota; and an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Science from St. Scholastica. She taught at Miller & United Hospitals, and was chairwoman of the Department of Nursing at Anoka-Ramsey State Junior College, where she developed the state's first associate degree in nursing. She served on the boards of: the University of Minnesota Foundation & Health Care Administration; the South Washington County Human Services Bureau; the College of St. Scholastica; the Ramsey County Lung Association; the United Hospital; and the United Hospital Foundation, receiving the "Service to Humanity Award" in 1987 for "selfless dedication and exemplary leadership in improving the health & welfare of the residents of St. Paul and surrounding area". She was a governor of the State Board of Nursing and a member of the Midwest Regional Council of the National League for nursing. She also served as a volunteer Guardian ad Litem for Ramsey County acting as an advocate for children involved in court proceedings. She will be remembered for her love of nature, Bear Lake, and as a person of uncompromising integrity who held high expectations of herself and those around her, yet always providing unconditional love and support. A Memorial Mass of Christian Burial will be held 11AM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007 at PRESENTATION of the BLESSED VIRGIN MARY Catholic Church, E. Larpenteur & Kennard St. Maplewood; followed by a reception and lunch. Private family burial will take place at Bear Lake, Haugen, Wisconsin. Memorials, in lieu of flowers, are preferred to the College of St. Scholastica Nursing Scholarship Fund. Special thanks and gratitude to the staff at Lakeridge Memory Care Unit and Allina Home Hospice. Arr. by O'HALLORAN & MURPHY 651/698-0796.----

The service was FRIDAY 11-16-07 and I am pissed on 19 levels and 30 years later as to why am not part of my family anymore.
-----PS-----This is the Grandmother who dropped off the "Santa" presents to our home that my biological brother and I opened, played with, and RE-WRAPPED while my Mother and Father were at The Lexington having lunch with my God-Parents on Christmas Eve.

BACK TO THE DRESSING---
2 1 lb. loaves white bread
2 1 lb. loaves wheat bread
12 corn muffins of choice or cornbread recipe mix of choice that makes 12 muffins.
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks)
2 medium yellow onions (finely chopped)
1/2 lb celery (finely chopped)
1/2 lb carrots (finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic
2-3 cups broth of choice (I use homemade turkey broth)
2 eggs
2 tblsp salt and fresh ground pepper
4 tblsp poultry seasoning.

Directions-
OVEN to 350
Place bread on sheet pans and LIGHTLY toast in oven till done.
While rotating bread chop all veggies and use half of butter to saute veggies (adding garlic last!)
TEAR by hand all the bread into mixing bowl to accommodate.
CRUMBLE the corn muffins
ADD veggies to torn and crumbled breads
SPRINKLE poultry seasoning and salt and pepper over mixture at that point
ADD 1 stick melted butter
ADD 2 (two) large eggs mixed in small bowl for 30 seconds w/fork
ADD 1 1/2 cups stock and MIX
ADD stock to moisten mixture to desired consistency.

BAKE IN BUTTERED DISH FOR 20 MIN IN FOIL (if you like a crust take foil off after20 min and cook until desired golden color.

My other Grandmother the one to whom I refer too on my show was making this while she asked me to tell the story about un-wrapping Grandma Ann and Grandpa Joe's gifts.

PUMPKIN BARS-----
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing: 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

Now I am going to go clot! Happy Pilgrim Day!

No comments: